Thursday 8 January 2009

Short Book Recommendations

So when I spread the good news of Project Read 2009, most of the responses I get concern a lack of time for reading, and little inclination to read long books, with profound meanings hidden by cunning metaphors. So in answer to this, I thought I'd list a few short, easy books in my library, that I've always enjoyed.

I've already mentioned The Last Polar Bears, by Harry Horse, part of a series of books about an old, unnamed Grandfather, and his dog, Roo. Together they go on a series of adventures, all of which end in near-disaster. I've only got two of the four books, the aforementioned Polar Bears, and The Last Gold Diggers. Apparently they were made into a cartoon at some point, but I've always preferred the witty illustrations (self-penned, I believe) in the books themselves. Short, funny, and easy to read.

Secondly, to all you Harry Potter fans, I recommend Rowling's original companions to the series, Quidditch: Through the Ages, and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I haven't read Tales of Beadle the Bard yet, as I haven't had enough money to buy it, but I imagine it to be fairly similar to these two gems. Written in a beautifully tongue-in-cheek style, these two books (originally released for Comic Relief) provide a backdrop to all that happens in the series. Again - Short, humorous and easy reading.

My final offering isn't quite as easy to read, but it's short enough. Cry, the Beloved Country, by Alan Paton, will always be one of my favourite novels, even if it's just for the quote "Happy the eyes that can close.", which I had daubed on my wall for most of last year. Concerning the struggle against apartheid in South Africa, it's hardly light reading, but I'd say it's essential reading.

So there you go! Hopefully there's something for everyone there, and if you prefer longer, more thematic books, I'll be back with some reviews soonish, I hope. As a parting note, I will soon be taking up Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, as an overdue promise to a friend. I'm hoping to finish them this time, so you should join in, and read them with me! Comment below, and let me know if you're up for it.. If not, I'll read them by myself! :P

Don't forget to be awesome, and rate, comment, and follow.
:]

xo
gb

No comments:

Post a Comment