Tuesday 6 January 2009

Loo Literature and The Problems with Prizes

This blog comes in three parts.

Part One:
You will already know if you frequent my other blog ThisModernLove. As part of Project Read 2009, I will be taking a book into the toilet with me, everytime I need the loo. That will then be my 'ToiletBook' until I finish it, when I will review it, and designate another book.

My first ToiletBook is The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger, after John Green's enthusiastic teaching inspired me to reread it.

Part Two:
As Head of Choir for my last year at Clayesmore School, I was entitled to a prize at the end of term. I chose the Kings Singers' Greatest Hits, and This is Your Brain on Music by Daniel Levitin. The school label your prize with a large sticky label saying "Choir Prize 2008 - Giles Baggott". The only problem with this is that they've stuck it on the inside front cover of my book, which makes reading difficult, and means I've had to bend the front cover about to be able to hold the book. This, in my book at least, is a travesty and for someone as obsessive about the quality of their books as me, is made of suck.

(Methinks many books will get ruined over the course of this project, so I better get used to it...)

Part Three
Suggestions. So already I've been reccomended some books by a friend (Thanks, Tom!), and so I'd like to open things up. If you know a book you think I should read or reread, let me know! I am thinking about re-doing the entire Harry Potter series in time for the next film, but I also want to discover at least one new and fantastic author before the end of this project.

So there we go. Rate, comment, and follow, don't forget to be awesome, but most of all, join in! I read The Last Polar Bears by Harry Horse last night. The book(s) you read don't have to be heavyweight intellectuality that spawned a genre, as long as they get you reading!

xo
gb

No comments:

Post a Comment