Friday 6 February 2009

Goodbye Holden, Hello Pooh!

I'm sorry y'all for the time it's taken me to get back here, as you will know if you read my other blog (here), I've been rather busy. Luckily for you, I've been rather busy reading, too!

I've finished Catcher, and you can expect a review to be up here in full just as soon as I can find time. Next week, sometime. Suffice to say, I loved it. I think it's a fairly common phenomenon to hate something when you read it at school, but love it when you read it later, and, to an extent, it makes me slightly dubious about the way we teach English at school, but whatever. I loved it, so, so much. It truly is a brilliant piece of writing. Nearly brought me to tears at the end.

My next toilet book, is, rather aptly, about Winnie the Pooh. Entitled 'Pooh and the Philosophers' it's a satirical look at how dear old Pooh envelopes all of Western philosophy. It's hard going at times, but it's absolutely fantastic, and you slowly find yourself getting into the mindset, and tutting at those people narrow minded enough to believe that Pooh is anything other than a genius.
It is however, a sign of how little I've updated this, that I've almost finished this book. I was thinking about continuing in the vein and reading a mock travel book named 'Phaic Tan: Sunstroke on a Shoestring'. However, this isn't really linear enough to warrant a place in my Loo Literature spot, so instead I'll settle for reading it on the train, and Tweeting the odd quote.

Progress with 'The Grapes of Wrath' is slow, but I'm really loving it. Steinbeck is such a poet, and makes reading such a tragic book a real joy. However, it has sort of turned into my book to read on the road, which, in essence isn't a bad thing, but I don't tend to travel a whole lot. So I'm trying to keep reminding myself to pick it up in bed, instead of Les Mis, which is my guilty pleasure at the moment.

I've discovered Goodreads (I discovered it before Rosi and John Green mentioned it, so there!) and I'm using it to update y'all as to how far I've got with each book. I will post a link to it over there --->.

Hope you're all okay,

Keep reading!

xo
gb

No comments:

Post a Comment